Goal of Media/Public Relations Network
To have an identified media/public relations contact within each GCSAA affiliated chapter to assist in coordinating and facilitating local, regional and national media/public relations efforts.
Role of Media/Public Relations Contacts
The media/public relations contacts assist GCSAA in its programs and serve as the contact for staff should local/regional media opportunities arise. Contacts also keep GCSAA informed of what newspapers are printing, state golf associations are publishing or television stations are broadcasting.
We view this as a two-way relationship, ultimately benefiting GCSAA members, the golf course superintendent profession, affiliated chapters, the association and the game of golf. GCSAA's activities assist affiliated chapters with local/regional initiatives, while efforts at the chapter level play a significant role in what GCSAA can accomplish nationally.
Recommendation of chapter activities
GCSAA encourages affiliated chapters to consider conducting the following activities:
- Serve as a liaison to GCSAA staff for purposes of determining media interview sources, providing interesting news/features tips, alerting to possible news issues, sharing media clippings and disseminating information to chapter members
- Work with local, state and regional media to place stories generated by chapters and/or GCSAA staff
- Develop local, state and regional mailing lists to maintain contact with media
- Distribute periodic mailings to media to publicize activities
- Distribute chapter membership directory and GCSAA media kit/sourcebook to media
- Coordinate a chapter training/education program related to media/public relations
- Organize a golf media day for chapter members to interact with media
- Perform other duties that may be appropriate to promote and publicize the work of the chapter, its members, the profession, GCSAA and the game/industry of golf.
Role of GCSAA
Many chapters already have accomplished a number of the recommended activities, and we emphasize that GCSAA is committed to providing as much assistance as possible.
We will regularly share information such as articles for placement with local media, how-to tips on media activities, examples of work that has been positive in other chapters/areas of the country, etc.
GCSAA resources/assistance available to affiliated chapters
GCSAA provides a host of communication resources for use by affiliated chapters to communicate more effectively with the media and others in the public.
Updating your chapter media/public relations contact information
GCSAA will periodically provide each of its chapter contacts with an updated list of all media/public relations contacts so that you may exchange ideas with one another. If there is a change in the media/public relations contact information for your affiliated chapter (contact person, e-mail address, phone number, fax number, mailing address, etc.), please contact Leann Cooper so that we may make any updates to our files.
We look forward to increased opportunities for working with each of you as we continue to expand efforts - and successes - related to media and public relations activities.