Top 5 characteristics of effective boards
1) Each board member accepts every other board member with an appreciation of their strengths and a tolerance of their weaknesses.
2) Everyone concerned with decisions helps to make them.
3) The board is forward looking and embraces innovation, while staying committed to preserving important traditions.
4) There is a clear definition of responsibilities so that each member knows what is expected of him or her.
5) Members have the ability to resolve conflict.
Source: Club Leaders Forum, Working Together to Define Effective Club Leadership, Aug. 2001.